Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Slave to the Grind



When I first thought of tracking my journey through med school on a public blog, I made a promise that I would write every day just to keep the writing muscles in my brain from atrophying and as a way to keep a little bit of sanity in all of this craziness called Basic Sciences.

Hard as I try and much as I would like to write every day (in a sort of surreal Doogie Howser wrap up) I just can't squeeze another hour into the day; I have tried. So I am guessing that these posts will come as sporadic as my sleeping schedule. Now don't get me wrong I am definitely not complaining, I love being busy and love always having something to do. At least this way I have a nice reward at the end of this road, compared to the other roads that I have traversed.

Time, as I have said before, has become a precious commodity. If you are trading sell, sell, sell cause I'm buying. I am figuring out this balancing act for now, get up, run, shower, , have a granola and an apple on the walk to school, class, study, eat, study, lab, (wash stink of formaldehyde off) study, eat, study, study, read some Chuck Palahniuk, sleep for 6 hours do it all over again. At least it is the same thing everyday, no surprises -- which is nice. Only have to do this for 570 more days and then I can really get started.

The first block exams are upcoming, in only 5 short days. There is a frantic energy emanating from most every waking soul around, all heads are seen bowed in an ostensible reverence over their notes, computer screens or homemade flashcards. The lab is open for extended hours and there is almost always at least two cadavers uncovered and undergoing more scrutinizing dissection. It is feverent. So no big adventures to tell of, other than the recurrent monotony of sustained studying.

I'm breaking a bit of the daily ritual today though, gotta get away and let some of this sink in. Gonna ride the Orbea up to the French side into the Lowlands and make the loop around the million dollar homes. Check it out--the loop follows the beaches Baie aux Plums and Baie Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment