Friday, May 22, 2009

Earthqukes, Anatomy, and Molecular Biology...what a combo!!

So get this....I'm lying in bed Wednesday night when suddenly the entire building made a big lateral shift to the west followed by a horrendous rumbling which dislodged several items from the shelves in my humble abode. Never have I moved as quickly as I did at that moment I don't believe, my first thought was a plane crash. They fly in and out of here, one right after another, form little single engine Cessnas to 747s. But there was no orange glow of a jet fuel induced explosion on the horizon, my second thought...earthquake. What the hell do Louisiana people know about earthquakes?? Then my mind began to calculate all the other possibilities, "hey, all these islands were built by volcanoes, hey..this school was destroyed by a volcano when it was on the island of Montserrat, hey...didn't an earthquake cause the tsunami in Indonesia" All of this rambling occurred in a matter of nanoseconds, after a little careful research I discovered that apparently there are earthquakes on this island and one quite significant occurred in 2007 that was 7.4 on the Richter scale. The Wednesday night quake was reported to be a 4.3....I do not wish to feel the 7.4 at all.
With all paranoia about being washed away in a torrential wave of epic proportions abated, I picked up the fallen items from the floor and went on my merry way, read some molecular and cellular biology and went to bed with thoughts of waking up to find 6 stories of building in my lap (I am so lucky to be on the bottom floor of a concrete and rebar building).

The mass morning pedestrian traffic to the campus from the residential areas

Everything is all coming together for the blocks on Monday (or at least it seems to be), I go to sleep with muscle group mnemonics, nervous system pathways and steps of DNA nucleotide repair sequences running through my head, only to find out that they are still there in the morning--running just as rapidly as they were when I last left them. The only way I have found to negate the squatter's rights they have claimed on every hemisphere of my brain is to make myself physically suffer instead of mentally suffer. Short, steep bike rides on the trusty Orbea up to the French lowlands or a brisk run to Maho and back seems to do the trick nicely. Nothing takes your mind off of things like a little lactic acid burn in your legs.

Till next time.....

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you look like a real doctor up there! And I'm so glad there were no problems with you 1st earthquake. May they all be so mild. Good luck with the tests on Monday. My prayers are with you. Jack says "Hey!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope I get to miss out on any earthquakes when I come down. See you in 2 short weeks. We miss you. Love Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron,
    The kids went to the library today and got libray cards. They each got a book. I know they miss you very much. Congradulations on your test.
    De De and Pop

    ReplyDelete